The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) seeks two Senior Site Reliability Engineers to join us on a temporary full-time basis, initially for twelve months, based at our Cambridge Science Park office (free onsite parking and close to the guided bus and Cambridge North train station).
As one of our Senior Site Reliability Engineers, you will work with the SRE team and colleagues across Technology, and will be responsible for managing the operation of infrastructure, systems and applications. Your work will enable the Royal Society of Chemistry to maximise service delivery, high availability, performance optimisation and ensuring that services are efficient at accomplishing their duties, even as those duties scale and evolve.
The Royal Society of Chemistry is the world’s leading chemistry community, advancing excellence in the chemical sciences. The UK’s professional body for chemical scientists with over 54,000 members worldwide, we are a £65m-turnover not-for-profit organisation with over 550 staff operating around the world and an award-winning global knowledge business. For more than 175 years we have promoted, supported, and celebrated chemistry. We work to shape the future of the chemical sciences – for the benefit of science and humanity.
We are looking for:
- A computing degree or equivalent experience.
- Expert knowledge of managing and securing Windows server at scale.
- Experience with cloud hosting datacentres (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform. Microsoft Azure) at scale.
- Expert PowerShell or similar scripting language.
- Expert knowledge of software security vulnerabilities and mitigation.
- Experience with configuration management tools.
- Experience working within Agile practices, particularly Scrum and Kanban.
- Able to perform detailed technical analysis and write technical and project documentation.
- Experience working in a DevOps environment with a focus on continuous deployment.
- Experience with engineering best practice, such as continuous deployment, configuration management experience, process automation.
- Expert end-to-end understanding of modern web architectures (DNS, HTTP, SSL, TCP/IP, Load-balancing, edge-delivery (CDN) to persistence layers), and how to effectively monitor and measure availability and reliability of web applications.
- Experience with real-time failover principles, processes, and architectures.
- Enthusiastic, highly self-motivated and a proactive team player.
- An excellent communicator who can explain technical concepts to both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- ITIL certification.
- Experience of operating in an SRE role at a previous company.
- Experience working with virtualisation technology.
- C# .NET development experience.
- Experience with containerisation technology.
- Experience with MS-SQL, NoSQL.
- Experience with APM and system monitoring tools (for example New Relic and/or PRTG).
- Experience with Microservices Architecture.
- Ability to quickly learn and implement unfamiliar technologies.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we offer a great work environment and excellent pro rata benefits.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply before the end of our Monday 27 August 2018 closing date.
Download the full job description here.